10/1/12

Coir Starter Plugs and Compost


As you know I like to compost and grow outdoors as well as indoors. There reason is that I just don’t have the room to grow everything I want indoors, and who can beat the cost of sunlight and rain?

I like to use the starter plugs for seedlings and cuttings.  Sometimes, the cuttings die, or I have plants that I harvest and still have the starter plug around the stem.  Last year I put several of the coir starter plugs in my compost pile. Several months later, they are still intact, but are very easy to break apart. I think in a couple more months they will continue to break down, and even if they do not break down on a molecular level, the plant roots, water and nutrients will still pass through the starter plugs. So, if you have some used starter plugs you have used a few times or some plant roots/ stem that still have the plug after you harvest, just throw them in the compost bin.

Click here for more information and how to order starter plugs

Good Growing,
Dr. E.R. Myers

1 comment:

hillbilly said...

i never even thought about whether or not i should even be putting starter plugs in the compost pile Doc - i just put them in. i use those starter plugs from HTG Supply and from what i understand these plugs are made from tree bark (but perhaps i didn't ask enough questions or should have been compelled to do more research). as you mentioned, i see an occasional "assembled" plug from time to time when i turn the pile, but i just kept telling myself that they"re made of tree bark.