7/13/10

E-mail - MH bulbs - Plant Growth and Kelvin

Hello,
I am ready to replace my old 1000 watt metal halide bulbs. I do not own a hps light and want to run a full spectrum bulb for vegetative growth and  flowering. I am familiar with the new dual arc bulbs but they are not in my budget. I do not want stem elongation that I may get with a red spectrum hps in vegetative stages, but obviously need it for flowering. It is my understanding that a 6500k bulb would be best? Please help me in deciding which bulb is best suitable for good vegetative growth without stem elongation and suitable in the flowering stages also, If I have to sacrifice fast veg. growth and shorter plants for better flowers by using a 3000k lamp I will. Any and all help is appreciated.
Thank you!

Hello,
I sent your E-mail to Sales@HTGSupply.com for a specific recommendation since I am not as familiar with specific bulbs / equipment.
I can answer your questions regarding light and plant growth however. You are correct in that a lower Kelvin rating means there is more red and yellow which will promote flowering but also means stem elongation. I have always used an HPS, but sometimes I use a MH conversion bulb during vegetative. If you ever get a new light, I usually recommend an HPS but since you don't have one....

6500K MH is the BEST spectrum for vegetative growth. It is a "blue" or "cool" spectrum bulb and it really grows compact, green plants. A lot of growers use this bulb for all stages of growth. The 3000K bulb is an MH bulb and the light output is not so great if you compare it to the same wattage HPS which typically has about a 2200K spectrum which is not too far off 3000K (one reason I use HPS).  However with an MH, if flowering is your main goal, go with the lower K (maybe just during flowering stage if you can get two bulbs?). You may have some stem elongation which you can correct by bending the plant tops which will make the plants more bushy, or you can have a fan blowing directly on the plants (gently) which will cause the plants to have shorter thicker stems. I do not think you will have as much of a problem with stem elongation with a MH of any type as you would with a HPS. I hope this helps, I'd like to hear from you later about how things worked out.

Good growing
Dr. E.R. Myers

p.s. These are generalities but basically an overcast Sky is 6500K. An incandescent light bulb is 2700K and is yellowish-white. The warm-white fluorescents are about 2700 K and are popular for flowering. Neutral-white fluorescents have 3000 K or 3500 K. Cool-white fluorescents are my bulb of choice for growing young plants and are 4100 K

No comments: