2/22/10

E-mail -- Are You Ready for Hydroponics

I want to grow indoors this winter and have a 4 x 4 x 6 grow tent. I want to try hydroponics but I'm so confused about the different systems. I need an easy to maintain system because I'm only growing a few plants. Do I need all the equipment for pH and specific gravity etc? It doesn't seem worth it for four plants. Is there a simple, robust system you can recommend? I already have a 400 hps light too. Thanks!

Hello,
It sounds like you are not ready for hydroponics. You must check and maintain the pH etc. A friend once described hydroponics to me like this, “Hydroponics is like a race car, it can go fast but it needs a lot of work done on it or you will crash”.

Since you are looking for easy growing, I suggest you use 5 gallon buckets with a soil mixture. Soil does not need to be measured and adjusted with a pH meter. All you need is some fertilizer and water to go with your 400 HPS . You can add different mediums to your soil depending on how you water and what plants you are growing.

If you want to get two crops in over the winter you can reuse the soil. After you use it two times, you can put it in your outdoor garden, compost or a flower bed.

If you are looking for the easiest way to grow plants it is in dirt.

Let me know if you do want information on various hydroponics systems. 
Good Growing,
Dr. E.R.Myers

No comments: