7/1/09

GROW MEDIUMS -- Which One Is For You?

For the next few weeks, I will be discussing various grow mediums. I have not used all, and some of this information will be what I have read. Please feel free to add your personal experiencesto via posts and I welcome questions, comments etc. via E-mail at Askthedoc@htgsupply.com

Growers have a wide choice of growing mediums and techniques from growing in the ground, to growing in containers with dirt or soilless mixes to growing via hydroponics. I will try to point out the good and bad aspects of different mediums, so that you can use or create the best medium for your plants. I have also included some information about which products are “green” and which are not. Green meaning the mediums are renewable and minimally if at all harmful to the environment.

All good plant growth mediums will have a uniform consistency and provide sufficient moisture, adequate aeration (pore space for oxygen), and be firm enough to support the plant. You also do not want it to contain unfavorable substances like toxins, diseases, or pests.

Good Growing,
Dr. E. R. Myers

No comments: