2/21/13

E-mail – Wrinkled LEAVES


Doc,
I just started 20 or so seedlings. They are two weeks old with one set of leaves The leaves are wrinkled and the plants are not growing. I am using a T-5HO and I have it about 2 inches above the plants and its been on 24/7. I watered the plants with tap water, then during the second week I used a high phosphorus fertilizer with lower N and K. Please help.

Hello. You did not say what medium you are growing in. If you are using new soil, then most likely it is not a deficiency. Also, you should use a 25-50% diluted fertilizer for seedlings. But since you said you first used tap water, I doubt you already have a nutrient overload. I think maybe you have the light too close. The HO stands for high output, believe it or not, plants can get too much light. Good growers know that most things in Biology involve the Goldilocks principal, not too much, not too little, but just the right amount is what you need. (Click here to read my post on the right height for your light). You should try to raise the light to about 6-8 inches above the tops of the plants. You should notice growing. Growers using LED should also beware of having too much light.
One thing you could try to quickly see if it is overload (stress) from light is turn off the light for six hours. If you raise the light and put the plants on 18/6 for a couple days you should see growth. You can then switch back to 24/7 for as long as you usually do in your grow cycle. If this does not help, send me another E-mail.

Good Growing,
Dr. E.R. Myers

No comments: